HOME

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Starting the day upbeat

I woke up early today, after a brief nap. Lately, I have been taking short naps instead of one long full sleep, because I’ve gone freelance and have more time, and pressure, to keep writing at home.

To start off the day, I listened to “I Saw Her Standing There,” one of the songs I like so much I learned to play it on bass while singing.

I had a chance to do that on stage, in December last year at the Ten 02, with Edgar Avenir on guitar and Rene “Chong” Tengasantos on drums.
It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, for them at least, because I brought along my bass guitar with me, just in case.

There were just a few customers in the place, and we got so carried away we did about an hour of Beatles songs, ending with “I Want To Hold Your Hand.”

It was the first time I ever played with these guys, who as band groupies will know are seasoned pros. And I’m just a journalist who likes dabbling in music.
I guess it was inevitable that I'd become a Beatles fan because I was born in 1961 and their music became part of the soundtrack of my life.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, there’s no video of our jam. So here’s a video of “I Saw Her Standing There,” the first cut in the Beatles’ first album, Please Please Me.


@ ATM

No comments: