HOME

Monday, August 09, 2010

Living feeds writing

“You have to live to write.”

The thought struck me in the wee hours yesterday as I was getting ready for bed, tired from grappling with a flaky Wordpress site to change the themes of two of my blogs there.

And I thought so many writing teachers must have drilled that into their students’ heads.

It’s the reverse thought that struck me the other night that's harder to keep doing: “You have to write to live.”

That, of course, applies to people like me who have chosen to write for a living. It’s not very lucrative in this country, though once in awhile a one-shot, big-deal project may come along.

On another level, though, I think I’d still be writing even if I could make money doing something else.

Anyway, as my precocious 11-year-old daughter would say: “Deal with it.”

© ATM

No comments: